On Tuesday, September 12, 2017, CIOCAN will hold its Annual General Meeting. At that meeting, the Nominating Committee will report to the members the Directors that have been acclaimed or elected for the coming year.
The 2017 Nominating Committee is comprised of the following members:
- Gary Davenport, CIOCAN Immediate Past President, (Committee Chair)
- Andrew Dillane, Immediate Past President
- Catherine Boivie, Founding President
- Humza Teherany, President
To facilitate the preparation of the slate and to ensure that the process is open to all members, the Nominating Committee is now issuing a Call for Nominations from the members of CIOCAN.
CIOCAN is the association of Chief Information Officers and IT leaders in Canada. CIOCAN is the only professional association whose mission is to assist CIO’s and senior IT professionals in their quest for excellence. This is achieved through focused education, knowledge-sharing and professional networking to expand our members’ network of connections and is encapsulated in our vision: Growth. Influence. Impact.
CIOCAN’s governance model is volunteer driven and a strong Board of Directors helps to ensure the consistent, high quality programs and services that CIOCAN members want. This is an exciting time to be a part of the National team, as we seek to enhance membership value and grow the association.
As a member of the CIOCAN Board of Directors, you will direct and support the association and its activities through the following:
- Develop and monitor the strategic plan
- Actively participate in at least one portfolio of the Board
- Support and participate in Board development
- Fulfill customary Board fiduciary responsibilities, including approval of the annual budget and monitoring financial status
This year CIOCAN is seeking individuals with knowledge, experience and expertise in the following areas:
- Program Development & Event Management
- Volunteer Management
- Membership Retention & Recognition
- Marketing & Social Media
CIOCAN Board members must demonstrate a willingness to contribute time, talent, and leadership skills to the association. Candidates with CIOCAN national or chapter volunteer experience are highly encouraged to submit.
CIOCAN Board members must be available to attend a minimum of six Board meetings per year and to take on a leadership role with one of a number of standing portfolios. It is imperative that nominees have the support of their employers to fulfill these volunteer duties. As well, here is a list of requirements that the association requires of its Board members:
- Active as a CIO in the firm you represent
- Prepared to serve in this role for two years
- Available for 4 to 6 hours per month to work on CIOCAN activities
- Available to participate in board meetings and the annual planning session
- Attendance at 25% of eligible CIOCAN Events (Local and/or National)
- Attending (or speaking at) industry events and promoting CIOCAN and its value proposition
- Reinforce and maintain CIOCAN values / code of conduct
- Provide career BIO for public viewing on CIOCAN website and other materials
Benefits of participation on the CIOCAN Board of Directors are numerous:
- Meet many colleagues in the IT sector
- Demonstrate your leadership skills
- Further develop individual leadership potential
- Increase your confidence in speaking in front of large groups
- Facilitate and chair meetings
- Gain a better understanding of governance issues
Previous Board Members have shared that their experience on the Board has greatly contributed to personal growth and professional development.
This is truly a chance to make a contribution to your professional association, to be challenged, and to develop and share your professional knowledge and expertise.
If you would like to be considered as a candidate for the Board, please complete the nomination form and send your CV to Gary Davenport by February 21, 2017.
Evaluation / Selection Process
The Nomination Form is available here. All nominations will be held in the strictest of confidence. The Nominating Committee will review all submissions and prepare a slate for approval of the Board and for presentation to the members. All individuals who submit a nomination form will be advised of the Committee's decision. If you have any questions regarding the roles and responsibilities of the CIOCAN Board of Directors, please do not hesitate to contact Gary Davenport, Past-President of CIOCAN and member of the Nominating Committee.
The deadline to submit a nomination is February 21st, 2017 no later than 5:00 pm Eastern Time.
Past-President, CIO Association of Canada